Saturday Stories: Speculation - 2017 Score Football

 I don't think that card speculation is wise, or good for the hobby. I think it drives up card prices artificially, making the hobby inaccessible to many new or young collectors, and can cause inexperienced speculators to drop a ton of money looking for "Hits" and just end up losing more money than they can afford. I know that the onus is on them to be carful with their money, but still, the YouTube/Instagram/whatever videos of people pulling thousands of dollars worth of cards out of a pack make it seem inevitable that you're going to get rich off of the next pack you're opening and that's not reality. The reality is that you're going to have the exact same experience that I did with my three Jumbo Packs of 2017 Score. 

I got the bug a  couple weeks ago to buy some 2017 packs and look for a Mahomes RC. Beyond the fact that he's my fantasy QB right now, I don't care about him much as a player. Yes, he is amazing, and always looks like he's having fun out there, but I'm not a Chiefs guy, and just don't see a lot of their games. But his cards are absolute 🔥 right now. I figured that in 120 cards I'd hit one Mahomes and pay for the packs. ($105 total on ebay.)

So anyway, I bought three 40-card packs thinking that Mahomes has to be in there somewhere. But here's the thing with many of these retail packs: If you don't get your big rookie card or rare Hit, you aren't likely to get your money back at all. In my case, I basically ended up with 120 base cards. I did get a few guys that I really like, and that's cool, but there is nothing in here worth any money on their own.

The cards themselves are pretty nice, classic Score cards. They're obviously not a premium set like Panini's Mosaic, or even Absolute; nothing super glossy, but some nice foil accents, good photography, and some nice sub-sets like Big Man on Campus, Signal Callers, and Color Rush to name just a few of very many. There is a ridiculous amount of subsets here.

Here are the best cards that I pulled...literally all base cards. 


 Now, I did get some cards in here that I dig...Rodgers and Favre for obvious reasons, and the two Watson rookies are nice. They're nit worth a ton on their own, but if they grade well, the values are pretty decent. The Dalvin Cook is a wild card. He's had a great 2020, and could be some big potential,  but he's a RB, so only time will tell. TJ is a 'Sconnie boy, so that's kind of a fun pull, and I like any card with Beast Mode. 

I'm gathering a handful of cards for grading...I've been interested in it since grading became a thing, but never bothered. Now that I've pulled a couple decent cards, and have a ton of old cards, it might be time to get some graded, hopefully boost their value, and see what people are willing to pay.

Time to go list some commons on ebay...

Comments