Saturday Stories: Who we choose to collect


I always find it fascinating that people make the choices we do. Let's look at card collecting (duh): No matter what type of card you collect, it is just cardboard with pictures on it that we, collectively as a community, have given value to. They have little inherent value. 

Now I want to go a step past that, and talk about the semi-successful players that I choose to spend my hard-earned American currency on. And I know that I'm not alone...I bet everyone collecting has a player that's kind of a guilty pleasure or that they seem to really like for no obvious reason.. 

Over the years of watching football and now getting into cards, I find myself drawn to players that kind of fall into four categories, though obviously nothing is set in stone here:

1. Absolutely look like they're always having fun

2. Players who may either implode or set the field on fire. 

3. Are on my fantasy teams 

4. Players that are just...different. Intangibles like personality play into it, but so does that Ricky Bobby mentality...if you're not first, you're last. 

I was thinking about this as I was sorting through cards at Tim's this past week, waiting for him to get to me, and just sifting through all the boxes of stars and parallels. I kept passing by superior players, looking for my guys...the kinda weirdos who never fit into the football player mound right, or are always exciting to watch. Here's are my top ten favorite players to collect, and just a little bit about why I like them: 

1. Donald Driver - Man, what an awesome dude. A really great person who is very community-minded, a huge deep threat in his prime, and a 7'6" high jumper back in college. 


2. Jameis Winston - I mean, 2019-20 season says it all. 5,109 passing yards and 30 interceptions. All or nothing.  


3. Davante Adams - A deep threat and a legend in the making


4. Za'Darius Smith - He just always looks like he's having fun and giving 100%


5. Ryan Fitzpatrick - FitzMagic. Just like Jameis; is the bearded wildman gonna through for 450 yards, or 6 picks? You never know. Also, did you know he went to Harvard? Yes, you did. 


6. Gardner Minshew - I know he's riding the pine pony right now, but he's the Florida Man hero that Jacksonville deserves. Once attempted to break his own had in order to get a medical redshirt.

7. DK Metcalf- And electric talent, totally uncoverable beast and always having the most fun.


8 & 9 JJ & TJ Watt - Defensive studs and 'Sconnie boys.

10. Christian McCaffrey - Why can't you just stay healthy? 😢



Honorable Mention: Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, Nick Bosa, Grok, Calvin Johnson, Aaron Donald, Von Miller, Tom Terrific, Younghoe Koo

Who are you into and why? Hometown heroes? Someone you grew up watching? What makes you pick a favorite player?

Comments