Wednesday Wax Break: 2020 Topps Gallery

 So here's the thing...even though I got into card collecting through baseball, I don't pay attention to it anymore. I've been hesitant to even buy a pack of cards since I don't really know the current players. Mike Trout and Bryce Harper might be the only current players I can name. Oh, and there is some pitcher who lives in a van. Anyway, I was in the checkout at WalMart and decided to pick up a box of Topps Gallery cards. $19.95 for seven packs plus four artists proofs. Sounds good to me. My first impression is that I really like these cards. The art is excellent, and the gold foil and semi-sparkly borders make them pop nicely. I come from the junk-wax era, so I am still taken in by shiny gold foil. 

I decided to open one pack plus the artist's proof pack, so let's see what we got.

2020 Topps Gallery (WalMart exclusive)



Artist Proof:

AJ Puk (RC)

Mike Yastrzemski

Dario Agrazal (RC)

Bryce Harper



So I am stoked to have someone I recognize in there, and a couple of rookies. Now on to the main set:

Anthony Kay (RC)

Cesar Hernandex

Albert Pujols (I recognize him too!)

Jose Altuve Rainbow Foil


All in all, these are pretty cool...I really like the look of the cards, and though the foil isn't anything super special, it's a good looking card with just enough differentiation from the base set to know that it's a cut above. 

A cursory search on eBay tells me that nothing here is worth a lot, which I would expect with a Wallyworld exclusive, but the Harper card might be $7-10, and maaaaybe $5 for the Altuve foil, so not a bad pull for a cheap set. Plus, there's a lot to be said for the thrill of opening a pack and not knowing what you

're gonna get, ya know? 


Comments