Working an Online Trade


As I open packs, get base cards from breaks, etc. I've been trying to figure out how to unload them. When I got into cards during the junk wax era, I was a card HOG. There are more than 20,000 commons sitting in my parents basement as I type this, literally losing value. They are worth nothing. Maybe less. I really, really don't want to accumulate a ton of cards that I don't want; basically storing them sucks, and they probably won't bring me much pleasure in the future. 

Last week I happened to pull both a Tua base and Mystique acetate card from consecutive packs of Illusions. Maybe Tua will be great, but he isn't my guy. Another guy on Reddit posted his rip of two Illusions packs, and one of the was a Jordan Love acetate - he IS my guy, so I proposed a trade. My two Tuas for his two Love cards. 

I did ask the guy how I knew he would send me the cards, and his rely was "Because I'm not a piece of shit," so I know he's all good. Well, maybe not, but we will see. I'm not really going to lose much here either way.

Now this guy is brand brand new to the hobby. 1. I don't want to take advantage of anyone, ever. It happened to me a lot as a kid which made me feel shitty, so I will never do it to someone else. 2. I want to get others stoked on cards. Thus I am throwing in all of my Ravens players (his favorite team, and no doubles) just to stoke him out. Mostly they're base cards, but if he's into them and I'm not, he will get a lot more pleasure from them than I will. He will definitely get the better end of the financial deal here, but I really don't care. If I can sell a good card or two on fleabay to support my habit and give a bunch of cool stuff away, I say let's do it. 

After all, it's all about getting more people into the hobby and sharing the good vibes, right?

My next plan is to sort everything by teams and give my cards away...maybe charge $5 for shipping and handling, but after that, they're yours. I'll get more posted when the time comes, and I'll keep you all up to date on how the trade goes down. 

Thoughts?

Comments