Wednesday Wax: 2020 Bowman Platinum Baseball



Like Burger King used to say, Sometimes ya gotta break the rules. I dipped into my stash of baseball cards again this week...even though I have no knowledge of today's players, sometimes it's just too tempting to open something. So I opened a hanger box of Platinum. Now I know that this is not the greatest release. It's not super popular, and it's Walmart and Meijer-specific, but it is available, and sometimes that's the only important thing. Is this the RC Cola of baseball cards? It might not be your first choice, but sometimes it's all that's being served.

Sadly, I got very little pleasure from opening the box. I just don't care or know enough about current baseball. Here are the best cards from the box, as best I can tell:


According to Cardboard Connection, in this box I should get two Icy Foil parallels and two numbered parallels. In this box the Duran and Bogart are the Icys and the Abrams is a teal parallel /299 and the Lee is a purple parallel /249.

I think if I was a kid or a new collector looking to build a set or personal collection, this would be a decent set. It's a solid value, and it's easy to fi d. You're always gonna get some Icys and some numbered cards. Pull a /299 of your favorite player and you're gonna be stoked, no matter who you are. Get something with a lower number and it's gravy. 

The cards themselves are ok. Not super high gloss, but a nice finish. The action photography is sharp, and the design of the base cards doesn't take anything away from the photography, unlike Panini Contenders and their enormous tickets. Comparing lower end cards, I actually prefer the finish and sharpness of the Contenders cards, but I prefer the space allocation of the Platinum cards. More photo space for your money? Something like that.

I don't know why I keep opening baseball cards...maybe it's an illness. Anyway, I have at least a month's worth of football packs now, so I ought to be back on the pigskin train soon.

That's all for now...thanks for reading!

 

Comments